Who We Are
Durham Jazz is a registered charitable community music program for middle and high school students in the Durham area, on the eastern edge of Toronto, Canada.
The program offers a variety of ensembles including smaller combos and big bands. Instruments included are generally but not limited to saxophones, trumpet, trombone, piano, guitar, bass, and drums and vocalists.
Durham Jazz is directed by a team of Durham music teachers, with support from music educators and professionals from across Durham and Toronto. The program is open to all students in middle and high school in the wider Durham area.
What We Value
We aim to:
- Provide a challenging and rewarding music education experience for all members
- Help students progress in their musical journey, including preparing for auditions into secondary and tertiary music programs
- Support local school music programs and promote jazz education in the wider community
- Have fun making great music together in a collaborative, family environment!
How it Works
Auditions – Students audition in late September for a place in one or more of the ensembles.
Rehearsals – We rehearse on Thursday evenings, October to May.
Performances – Ensembles perform at concerts, festivals, and community events throughout the year. Typically an annual 5-day trip gives members the opportunity to work with internationally-renowned jazz teachers and performers, however decisions around the trip are affected by instructions from local and worldwide health units.
Fees – The traditional format annual fee ($500) covers the cost of music, uniform, and the 3-day Retreat. Costs for the annual 5-day trip are offset by fundraising; limited scholarships are also available. It is the firm policy of the directors that Durham Jazz membership is open to all eligible students, regardless of financial constraints.
Musical Opportunities Available for the 2021-2022 season:
While we are preparing to offer a variety of ensembles this season, we will always take under advisement the suggestions from the Public Health Organizations in Canada, Ontario and Durham Region in regards to COVID-19 protocols. For more information see the audition pages.
- Durham Jazz Beginner Program (Learn to Play) (Grade 6-9)
- Durham Jazz Junior (up to grade 9)
- Durham Jazz Intermediate (grades 8, 9 & 10 with some exceptions)
- Durham Jazz Senior (grades 11&12 with some exceptions)